Brant Waterways’ Board of Directors is dedicated to protecting, preserving, improving and promoting our local Grand River watershed. We are offering an exciting opportunity for a skilled, self-directed and enthusiastic individual to become a key part of our team as Board Coordinator.
Job Title & Purpose: The Board Coordinator helps advance the Foundation’s goals and objectives by providing communication services and administrative support to the Board of Directors and its associated committees.
About This Role: This position encompasses responsibilities involving multiple roles and requiring a range of skill sets.
Conditions of Work: Hours are part-time (average 15-20 hours per week), flexible and respond to the needs of the Foundation. The position is not to exceed a maximum yearly compensation amount designated by the Board. The candidate would be required to work from a home office but may be required to attend in-person meetings in the Brant/Brantford/Six Nations area. This is a contract position, and there is no employer-employee relationship.
Reports to: The President and Board of Directors
Annual Review: Annual progress meeting to be conducted by the President and two Board Members.
Summary: The Board Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day work of the Foundation. The candidate facilitates Board and Board committee discussions referencing bylaws and policies and use of the Strategic and Operational Plans to keep focus on the mission and goals of the Foundation. The Board Coordinator provides administrative support to all committees as needed and may be directed by the Board to assist on any committee. They coordinate/collaborate with the Board of Directors to ensure the Foundation’s mission is accomplished and must maintain confidentiality at all times.
The Board Coordinator serves as a liaison between the Board of Directors and the Foundation’s donors, municipal partners and the community at large and utilizes a range of communication skills to help build awareness and support of the Foundation’s activities.
Board Coordination & Support
- Draft Annual General and monthly Board meeting agendas in collaboration with the President and committee chairs; coordinate meeting locations and format, distribute meeting documents including AGM Report
- Prepare AGM and Board meeting minutes and keep organizational records
- Attend BWF committee meetings as necessary to provide assistance and support
- Monitor and help coordinate BWF funded projects; assure completion of reporting requirements and final report review by the grants committee
- Liaise with the Treasurer and bookkeeper to ensure financials are in order; maintain and organize electronic and hard copies of financial documents (invoices, receipts, bank statements etc.); assist Treasurer in providing materials for annual financial audit and charitable return
- Ensure compliance with Foundation bylaws, policies and procedures
- Monitor phone calls, emails and mail correspondence, respond as necessary
- Deposit cheques into BWF chequing account
- Manage/coordinate BWF purchases and payments
- Manage the organizational database
- Submit time sheets to Treasurer/bookkeeper
- Order office and event supplies
- File documents on Dropbox or other public domain
- Monitor Canada Helps, PayPal Giving Fund, special campaign and general donations; record necessary information;
- Prepare and issue charitable tax receipts and related thank you letters
- Submit required applications, reports, fees, insurance documents for Foundation’s operations, activities and events
Communication, Community Awareness & Outreach
- Liaise with the Communications & Marketing Committee for direction/guidance as needed
- Coordinate and/or complete website maintenance and updates and social media posts as required
- Write, produce and distribute a quarterly e-newsletter to keep donors informed of BWF activities
- Assist or complete communications tasks for annual fundraising gala (see below) and other events and activities
- Assist / liaise with community partners on potential projects and on approved projects
- Assist with preparation and submission of funding/grant proposals
- As required attend, with BWF Board members, community/partner meetings, events
Event Planning & Coordination
- Coordinate with the fundraising gala committee to schedule meetings, ensure meeting notes, draft agendas, set meeting location, send meeting notices and reminders; participate in committee meetings and board updates
- Respond to inquiries and information requests
- Assist/support Board with ticket sales, prize and sponsorship solicitations, and track progress
- Coordinate the creation, printing and distribution of promotional materials
- Assist with booking of venue, food/beverage, entertainment, speakers/presentations etc. as required
- Assist with marketing and promotion including website updates, social media posts, e-blasts
- Engage and liaise with donors, community partners etc.
- Assist with development of volunteer schedule
- Assist with set-up, tear-down and specific tasks during the event
- Coordinate post-event tasks: charitable and other receipts; thank you letters; invoice payments; event reports etc.
- Other event-related tasks as they emerge
Preferred Experience and Skills
- 3 years’ experience in a high-level administrative support position
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working with a not-for-profit organization and/or Board of Directors and/or board appointed committees
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills; able to work well with people of all backgrounds including high-level community influencers
- Grant writing experience an asset
- Ability to organize and implement office procedures and systems
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with social media including Instagram and Facebook
- Experience with WordPress an asset
- Advanced computer skills in Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Experience with Adobe InDesign an asset, but not essential
- Self-motivated, focused, positive attitude, flexible, and proactive
- $25 to $27 per hour
- Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by end of day Wednesday September 28, 2022.
- We thank everyone for their interest in this position but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.